Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 49 Dental Hygiene

Don't let the title of this post gross you out. I actually have good dental hygiene - I never miss my 6 month check up, and I have no cavities. None. I had one when I was 6, but that baby tooth is long gone. My dentists have speculated that there is something special in my body chemistry or in the ph of my saliva that keeps things from growing in my mouth.

But yes, I could brush before bed. I always brush in the morning, but really, I could be doing better about brushing before bed. And I'll have to do it for my own health and well-being, seeing how I no longer share a bed with someone who would appreciate a minty fresh good night kiss.

Flossing. I don't know about y'all, but my parents never taught me how to floss. My dentist did. And along with the new toothbrush at every visit, I would also receive a little container of dental floss. Which would get placed in the basket under the sink as soon as I got home. Every time I cleaned the bathroom, I'd say, "Geez, I sure do have a lot of dental floss. I really should use that stuff up." So now I am. Yes, it's tedious and sometimes my gums bleed, but I do think I'm getting better at it as time goes on. We'll see if my dentist notices a difference when I go in for my next cleaning.

In other news, I have given up on Dr. Mist and Tom. Today, I'm using baking soda on ye olde pits and we'll see how that goes.

I must get some hankies made. All this crying has done a number on the toilet paper supply.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh--you totally need some soft flannel hankies to comfort you--much more absorbant and kind to your delicate skin than any kind of paper. Alls I did was cut squares out of some cotton flanellette I got from Fabricland, and then zig-zag stitched the edges. They are such a kindness when we're feeling tender . . .

Q said...

Even easier than sewing is cut the fabric with some pinking shears(They have a zigzag pattern.) It keeps the fabric from fraying too much. That's what I did for my toilet and nose wipes. No sewing required.

Irma said...

Delurking. With the not so great stuff in your life right now, is it inappropriate for me to say how much I enjoy this blog? (Or maybe it makes it the most appropriate time.)

Crunchy Chicken said...

The more you floss, the less your gums will bleed.

Like Q, I also just used pinking shears, because I'm too damn lazy to sew them all.

Robj98168 said...

Brushing with Soda and flossing is good for your gums. Might I suggest using a salt water gargle after flossing will help your gums as well. On the hanky front, my favorate no sew hanky is rags made from t-shirts- They don't fray (or don't seem to)

Evelyn in Canada said...

Although not as pretty as a nice hem, I've made a box full of hankies by serging around the edges of scraps of flannel. I love the feel of them.

Little Green Penguin said...

Hankies made, and loving them. Yes, I'm a dork and did the fancy-poo rolled edge with my serger. And I'm really happy people like my blog!

Allie said...

Flossing is great, but I just wanted to mention that if you really have THAT much floss, it's also awesome to use for cutting softer cheeses.

Little Green Penguin said...

Dental floss is also great for making precise diameter cuts in cakes and cheesecakes.