Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 44. 45, and 46 - Showering in the dark, using up every last bit of a product, and natural toilet cleaning

So I got back from my little jaunt on Thursday afternoon, and have ever since been catching up on all the things that I didn't do while I was away. I was continuing to make green changes, but sitting down and actually writing about them just didn't happen.

Showering in the dark is a piece of cake. I'm a person who, I think, would do quite well as a blind person. As long as no one touches my stuff, I am THAT organized that I can find things with my eyes closed, or in total darkness. I'm also good at identifying objects using my other senses. Which is why showering in the dark is easy. All of my shower products feel and smell different, and keeping the lights off allows me to ignore my less than perfect body that much more. And truth be told, if I keep the bathroom doors open, enough light comes in from the rest of the condo that I can still see a little.

I love new things. New bars of soap, new lipstick, new perfume. Which is why this little challenge is hard for me. For about a week now, I've been fighting the temptation to toss out the remaining bits of the aforementioned products so that I could dig into some new stuff. Not that I was going out and buying this new stuff, you see. I tend to collect things like soap, perfumes and make-up. I have made a commitment to use up all of my existing supplies before purchasing more, but now that I'm in the throes of working through the stash, I have come to realize just how much stuff I have, and just how long it takes to use something up, even if you are using it every day. After each squirt of perfume, I'd look anxiously at the bottle to see how much it had decreased. Washing my hands is a compulsive joy - each time I wonder if this is the time that the soap will no longer be large enough for a human to use and I'll get to unwrap a fresh bar. So far, nope.

And the make-up! I've been trying to use up this one colour of lip gloss for over a month now, using it every day, sometimes re-applying as the day goes on. I don't think I'll ever complain about the cost of make-up anymore, because if you really use a product until it is GONE gone, that's a long time! I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of that lip gloss. But not quite. Have you noticed how some product packages are designed so that you just CAN'T get all of the product out, thus resulting in waste?

My lip gloss looked like this. Now I ask ya, how the heck are you supposed to get all of the gloss out of the tube with that little wand? The tube doesn't open in any way, and there is a narrowing in the mouth to prevent too much product being dispensed onto the wand. I seriously did the best I can, applying far more gloss than is tasteful, just because I was so perturbed.

How many other times have you had to throw out a product and buy more, simply because the product packaging prevented you from accessing all of the product? The French's mustard bottle is a classic example of iconic, but poor, packaging design.

Moving on to toilet cleaning, I was now out of conventional toilet cleaner, and opted to go for the baking soda and vinegar method. I suppose this would have worked well had I not a) used so much baking soda and vinegar, and b) used apple cider vinegar, due to my lack of white vinegar. Happily, the cider-scented mini-volcano went unnoticed by my boyfriend. I'll have to think more about this toilet cleaning before I attempt it again next week.

In other news, I'm switching back and forth between Dr. Mist and Tom's of Maine deodorant, because my body seems to like playing games. I refuse, refuse, refuse to throw out these products before they are gone, even if it means applying several times a day just to keep my stench in check. I gotta tell ya, I'm not a stinky person. I don't exercise, and there are many days when I don't even break a sweat (all bad, I know). But c'mon - ever since switching deodorants, I'm stinky and moist all the time. Lucky for me, autumn seems to have arrived in Toronto.

Also, the micro-fibre rags I re-commissioned into Swiffer pads seem to be doing a MUCH better job than the actual Swiffer pads ever did. Hallelujah.

5 comments:

mudnessa said...

Would using a skinny lipstick brush help get the lip gloss out? Perhaps the little part that gets smaller at the top can be snapped off to make the hole bigger, I've done that with a blemish stick I have. I've never really used a lip gloss in a bottle like that but I use a lip brush to get all of my stick glosses out, or I dig out the bottom part and put them into a leftover tin of some kind and then use my finger or brush to apply.

If not that gives you something to think about when you do get to purchasing more, how they are packaged and how easy or hard it will be to use it all up.

If you are using just deodorants you are always going to be moist because it is the antiperspirant that make you stop sweating and the deodorant is just suppose to mask/kill the smell. Definitely something you have to get use to when switching from antiperspirant to deodorant.

Q said...

I was going to say what mudnessa said about the deodorant/antiperspirant thing. You get used to it after a while though.

I'm the same way as you with new products. Sometimes I'll start using the new product before I'm quite done with the old one and just go back to the old one later.

Good luck with the lip gloss...

Kelsie said...

I run an eco-friendly cleaning service, and for toilets, I use a few shakes of baking soda and two squirts of Doctor Bronner's. You can also use Borax in place of baking soda (I use borax for tubs, and it makes them SPARKLE). I use Dr. B's on EVERYTHING--in my surface spray (vinegar/Dr. B's), mop water (again, vinegar & Dr. B's), tubs/sinks/toilets, and my own laundry here at home. :) It makes things totally uncomplicated and clean.

A Lady Reveals Nothing said...

You might try just using only distilled white vinegar on your armpits, applied with a cotton ball. It works pretty well. For me, it seems to prevent sweating and odor.

(heard about your blog through Crunchy Chicken...)

Kay's Spot said...

Do you want an excuse to purchase something new? (I know I do, after swearing off purching new products this past July - again, I feel your pain Penguin!) Anyway, try adding some essential oils to your cleaning concoctions - like lavender, clove, pepermint, etc. Each one has some medicinal bennefits, and it helps counterbalance the vinager smell. Which, you do get used to after awhile.